How Does Your Wall Colour Uplift Your Mood?
Colours have a big impact on our lives. Even our mood, actions, and mind get influenced by them. They are highly communicative and influence human behaviour at large. According to colour psychology, our feelings are directly associated or rooted with our experiences and upbringing according to a specific tradition/culture. The psychological effects of colours are deeply rooted in our life experiences and the notions we are raised with. Like white is widely accepted as a colour that symbolizes peace. A vibrant colour incites happiness and positivity whereas shades like grey make you feel dull and lack positivity around. Be it a workplace or your home, understanding colour psychology would help you immensely in enhancing the positive aspects.
Painting your house in a specific colour is a signature of your personality. Interior designers also go for colour psychology while choosing colours for their client’s walls. The science behind colours plays a key role for interior designers and decorators. So, they first suggest suitable colour palettes for a space such as soothing colours for the bedroom, lively colours for the living area, calm colours for the study and purple or lavender shades for the praying or pooja area. And then you can pick which shade among the suggested palette suits your mood and preference so that they can get the paint done. It is also integral to pick drapery and furnishing in sync with your wall colour to create a wonderful themed look. Either go for complementing shades or contrast shades that work well with each other, whichever way you like. But, one thing must be kept in mind the choice of colours depends on the needs of a room and activities linked to it. For example, vibrant colour and texture need to have opted for your living area as it’s the most displayed space in your den.
Tips to choose colours for your rooms:
When you’re choosing the perfect colour for your home, go through the following tips to pick the appropriate colour for your wall:
- These colours range from tints of blue to green, giving you a lively, fresh and relaxed feeling. They are soothing, calming and bring positive vibes every time you enter the room. Perfect shades to adorn your bedroom walls.
- Colours involving red, yellow and orange shades comes under this section. These colours give a promising and inviting feeling. Suitable for kitchens and living areas. Red and maroon colours bring romantic and pleasant vibes. These colours are suitable for bedrooms making a cosy and welcoming atmosphere. But getting the entire bedroom painted in red or orange might seem too much. To add a calming effect, get a single wall painted with red and maroon and blend in another complementing colour from the colour wheel. It will create a balance between warmth and coolness.
- Black, grey and white hues are the colours that you can consider for a mono-chrome look. Though these colours are ideally not picked by most homemakers as they find them not so enticing for their homes. In case you are keen to have the colours on your walls, opt for a single wall with some textures so that the monochrome colours don’t over-power the other shades in the room. Though, you can widely use white for your walls, depending on the people inhabiting your space. If there are toddlers then its better to stay away from white or light shades or at least plan to get the borders painted with a darker shade that can be safe from their artistic explorations. Or you can get a washable paint there and wipe off their scribbles and arts later.
You can be creative too, check how!
Gotta creative mind? Why don’t you help yourself by putting your creative ideas onto your walls? We have a short hack to make it a bit quicker.
Plan your ideas:
- Assure yourself that you are going to do it on your own! Google out the wall painting designs and ideas as per your choice.
Choose the room you want to paint:
Selection of the room is a very crucial part when painting on your own. Pick the room that you think you can paint best and keep a check on the area of the walls in the room.
About the colour:
- Do an assessment about which colour suits you and your mood the best. Check if you need any contrasting shades to create a better look.
Prepare the materials:
- Keep the items listed and buy them beforehand. Also, you must cover your furniture with a cloth or newspaper to avoid any paint on them.
Use wall putty to cover the wall:
- Wall putty is usually used to cover all the unwanted marks that are present on the wall. It is recommended for hiding all the dirty marks and uneven spots on the wall surface. Also, it gives an even shade to the wall for a uniformly painted look.
Time to paint:
- You can now proceed to paint the desired colour all over the wall, use a ladder or a safe stool to reach the desired area to paint.
Some quick tips
Choose the correct paint type:
- Latex Paint – Opt for latex paint, it is eco-friendly, odourless and dries quickly.
- Acrylic Paint – You can pick acrylic paints for the exterior walls or wooden surface. It retains colour and shines for a very long time.
- Alkyd Paint – This paint is appropriate for indoors. It is useful for the areas that face wear and tear, such as children rooms or bedrooms. Alkyd paint is durable and stain-resistant, however, these are sensitive to UV rays which can cause fading.
Use indoor plants or artefacts:
- To make the paint look livelier, you can keep indoor plants against a vibrantly coloured wall or some artefacts to embellish its look. Hang self-painted creations on the wall.
Why not try textures:
- Mostly everyone gives hands-on texture walls, keeping one wall with texture and other walls plain. These textures are eye-catching and come with a flood of variety. You can even create your textures to add that distinct touch of creativity to your walls.
- Painting your house can either be an easy or a tough job, depending on how you manage the task. If you want us to transform your walls professionally then our painting service experts are just a call away! Professional painters, quick response, neatly done walls with your desired idea is what ServicePik offers you. If you want a complete makeover of your home, even we have interior designers to help you out.
According to Vastu the ideal colours for bedrooms and dining area are light blue, light green and shades of pink. Green symbolizes fertility, growth, nature, prosperity and abundance. Pink and green also represent joy and purity, the perfect colours for bathrooms.
We hope this article can help you in any of the ways, and we’d love your views on the same. Let us know your views in the comments section below. Explore our ServicePik blogs to know such interesting facts about home care!